Barcelona 2009

Barcelona 2009

Exploring Places in Past and Present




















Field Trip to History Museum

My Barcelona Past and Present class took a very interesting field trip to see what the Roman times were like here in Barcelona. At the museum, we watched a film about the rise and fall of Barcelona while the Romans were in power. Also, we were able to see things that the Romans used in everyday live such as bowls, spoons, etc. We were also able to see some of the jewelry from that time period. It was very interesting to see things I did not even know were part of Barcelona’s history.

Field trip to Jaume I

The next field trip my class took in Barcelona Past and Present was to a location called Juame I. Ever since that field trip I have fallen in love with this area. We walked around the Jewish corridors and the Roman walls, which surrounded the city limits. The Jewish corridors were very tight and located in small streets. It is interesting to see how small and tight the corridors were. Also, it was interesting to look at the Roman walls that enclosed the city. We finished the field trip near the Cathedral which in the picture above you can see is absolutely beautiful!


Field trip to El Born:

El Born has become one of my favorite places. We walked around this area and particularly paid close attention to the church Santa Maria del Mar. This is where King Ferdinand gave his regards to Christopher Columbus on his long journey in which he discovered America. While building apartments around Santa Maria del Mar they found a graveyard underneath the ground. They have kept this graveyards and have a monumental flame that lasts forever to honor those people. The Cathedral is surrounded by shops, great restaurants and wine bars. Ever since this field trip, my roommates and I have kept venturing back towards el Born.

Field trip to El Raval:

The first time I went to El Raval was at night for a political science class. The impression I got was that it was seen as sort of a bad part of time particularly at night. We went to an NGO for a guest speaker. I was with two girl friends and it was a lot of ethnic people walking around. They were just sort of hanging out in the streets. When we went for Barcelona Past and Present it was a lot different. It had much more to offer than I had thought. The buildings-particularly the one museum was full of people outside, eating lunch, relaxing. It was a beautiful day and “normal” people really did hang out around there!

No comments:

Post a Comment