Barcelona 2009

Barcelona 2009

Civil Center of Sagrada Familia

In my neighborhood, the library and the market are in one building called the Civic Center. The library are on the top floors and the market is below. It is very convenient if you need to go to both locations!

Another major part of my neighborhood that I thoroughly enjoy is the market. I could live here for hours on end. Ideally I did wish it had a regular grocery story attached to it, but I cannot complain. At least once a week I head over to Provenca to get the freshest food around town. They have everything ranging from fruits to vegetables to meat. These producers are often local vendors who produce their own goods they are selling. This market was opened in 1973 to provide the vendors with an opportunity to sell their products to the Sagrada Familia portion of the Eixample neighborhood. Sometimes it is fun to try and speak with the vendors because they truly do know what they are saying about their products. Markets are not only part of just my individual life in Barcelona, but they are part of Catalan culture. It is mostly locals that are shopping within the markets, which I think is great! One of the most famous markets in Barcelona is off of Las Ramblas. It is called La Boqueria. If you ever travel to Barcelona it is a MUST see. Words can not explain it. You are able to go in and buy food at the local vendors or there are little bars you can sit at and enjoy some delicious food!

Right above the neighborhood market is the public library. It is huge in size and has any type of book you may be looking for. It is four levels and has journals, biographies, kids sections, books on art, history, anything imaginable. The people in the library are also very helpful. I have been here a few times, particularly recently, to help with recent projects. They have a great database that helps you find those books, which may be hard to find. For our Barcelona Past and Present class we were asked to go there and learn more about it. We also had to get a library card. By getting that library card I have made many new choices in helping myself interact with people of the Catalan culture. At first I was nervous because I was not sureif people would be able to help me, whether they were the librarian or just a regular citizen. But they all were very, very kind and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment